Monday, October 6, 2008

Pro-Jacks


Carter calls projects "pro-jacks," so this post is about my latest project!

My window collecting friend Melissa gave me these windows to use to decorate.



The tall ones didn't have any glass in them so I had to think a while to figure out what to do. I have wanted to make a "command center" in our kitchen for a while, which is just kind of the organizational hub of the house. SO I decided to make these work for the project.


First I spray painted the windows black:


Then I got lazy with the pictures! I went to Lowe's and had some cheap wood cut to the size to be put in the window frames (2 of them). I painted these wood pieces with chalkboard paint. I also bought thin pieces of steel , a little bigger than my panes would be. So I put the dried chalkboards in the top opening, and nailed the steel behind that bottom opening. In the middle I was putting corkbboard and discovered that I would have to piece together the cork I had and that would look dumb. So I got some toile and covered it and liked how that looked even better than just the corkboard.

So here's the finished product:





Oh, with the single window with glass I stole my friend Amber's idea and made it a calendar. I put a grid on the back (that still needs some tweaking), then used chalk markers from Michael's to write in the month etc. All in all I love how it turned out and we will be oh so organized! :)


While we're on the topic of "projacks," my mom inspired me to do this Halloween project she saw on the Joys of Home blog:


Fun fun!


6 comments:

Emily said...

Look at you, so crafty...
Very cute!

Erika said...

Your projects turned out so cute. We will have to get together so you can teach me some of your great ideas.

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

I LOVE them!!! You are so awesome :) ps- when are you coming into town?

Crouch6 said...

Good Job! I think they are awesome!

Morris Mama said...

Wow! What a great job you did! Love it all!

Megan {Petals & Blooms} said...

Holy cow! Those turned out so cute that I had to come out of lurkdom ( or stalkerdom...) to say CUTE!! Good job!!